Wednesday 6 May 2009

Cloudy blue eyes. Aged 94. Alone

Here I am
simple old man
staring out at the street
at the world
radio playing
can't see the television
paint the pictures through the music
instead
in my head.
Those children I see
happy laughter
don't go out much anymore
only when I need to
I struggle
it makes me cry
here
alone
with no one around
lost
in,
what? the realms of time
my wife
the love of my life
twenty years ago now
her photograph
dusted clean
to help me see the gleam
of her face
I just sit and stare
I let the music do the rest
silly old fool
wipe away the tears
I touch the time lines
the wrinkles
on my face
like braille to a blind man
each line a story
of decadent decades
if I had someone to tell
the stories of an ageing man
yet they will go with me
to the paupers grave
reunited
with the face
I don't even know what time it is
irrelevant I guess
music slows
on the radio
will it be tomorrow?
or in a year
or two
I have watched so many children
grow
leave the street
they just see the strange old man
sat here in the window
is he alive?
point and prod fingers
like a circus clown
I don't mind
if it makes them laugh
that's all I have left
I'm tired now
thank you for listening
thank you for not treating me like a child
thank you for your help
in tuning in the radio
I'm sorry you have to go
please, come again
my name is Harry
you will remember me
oh, that old Harry
he cries
ah well
thank you for listening
please,
come again
please.

M J Martin.

No comments:

Post a Comment