Friday 13 November 2009

The town of Independence bleeds

The sun set and I, smiled
through the relief and the reprimand that no longer
enticed me to dance
I wear a tuxedo with bow tie let loose around my bearded neck
drinking a complicated mixture of Tabasco and tomato
in a tall glass of exposure.
The lunar girl grabbed me by the hand and smiled
she invited me to the bedroom and we made love
the sun heated in appreciation
the night sky transformed, into orange and purple blues.
The cafe table of our life was set with coffee and sugar
sweet and black with a thousand adventures to discover
our very own waiter craved a tip in his hand
a silver service charge for leading this depression, through the a la carte land.
Then the jazz man hobo, sitting alone in the street, smiled a toothless smile
I held your hand closer, realising how lucky we are
I throw him a nickle, and his grin grows wider
my heart shrinks into the red, my thoughts grow milder.
So we sit by the river, watching the ships with lights sail by
I grasp you closer to me, afraid of letting the love drown
the body heat is all the insulation we need
on the banks of anonymous, the town of independence
bleeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment